** CELIAC QUICK FACTS**
· Celiac Disease is the one of the most common genetic autoimmune diseases on the planet! According to NIH, Celiac Disease affects 1 in 133 people in the U.S. That is 3 million Americans. It is also the most under diagnosed and misdiagnosed – 95% don’t know they have it. The average delay in adult diagnosis is NINE years!
· Celiac is a genetic disorder manifested by a complete intolerance to ALL foods containing gluten. (wheat, rye, barley). Even a few crumbs of gluten-containing food can cause a severe reaction (one crouton). Gluten is hidden in many foods: like soy sauce, modified food starch and even playdoh.
· Common symptoms include: bloating, diarrhea and/or constipation, stomachaches, fatigue, infertility and pregnancy complications, migraine headaches, joint & bone pain, skin rashes, anemia, slow growth on childhood.
· Related serious diseases associated with Celiac if left untreated include: Rheumatoid Arthritis, Insulin-dependent Type I Diabetes, Osteoporosis, Thyroid Disease, Lupus, Liver Diseases, certain types of Cancer.
· Research shows that numbers are doubling every 15 years.
· Awareness is key. A simple blood or saliva test starts the diagnosis process and can be provide life-saving information.
· Celiac Disease is the only disease in the world completely controlled by DIET! The “cure” is a lifelong commitment to a gluten-free diet.
· A “GF” diet can be easily managed and maintained: there are 100’s of gluten free foods on the market (180 new GF products in 2009 – in 2010 General Mills alone certified over 300 GF products).
· The Gluten-Free market is currently a 3 billion dollar industry and estimates are that it will grow to a 5.5 billion dollar industry by 2015.
· In children, Celiac Disease is often called: “failure to thrive” due to their little body’s inability to absorb nutrients. On a Gluten-Free diet Celiac kids can thrive and lead completely normal lives.
· In Italy every school age child must be tested for Celiac.
Prepared by: Not Even A Crumb™
Raising Awareness, one crumb at a time©
Disclaimer: I am not a Doctor, lawyer, rocket scientist or King. My mission in life is to raise awareness about Celiac Disease. Everything on this website is provided for informational, educational and entertainment use only and should not be used for any diagnostic purpose. Always consult with your physician regarding your health concerns.